It's about time (bubbling light)

More fun with varying exposure.

This time our subject is an illumnated fountain inside the Bonaventure Hotel, as shot from above.

We start with a 1/13 second exposure (F/4.5) , which gives little detail on the water burbling up (but does show some detail on the palm next to it):

Then we move to 1/40 second (and open the shutter a bit to F/3.5 to compensate) , and we start to make out the bubbles (the palm gets darker):
And finally to 1/160 second (still F/3.5) , where we can see the apex of the water shooting up and the distinct bubbles in the foam circling out (but the palm is almost completely lost):
Here's a close-crop on that last shot, which is really what speeding it up was going for:

It's true: Timing is everything.


(Apologies to real photographers, who wouldn't bother with this nonsense. I suppose it's only because I'm still learning that I find this remotely interesting.)

2 comments:

  1. But you are a "real photographer." A snapshooter wouldn't take the time to vary exposure, trying to nail the image he envisions.

    I like the last two shots. Reminds me of deep space shots, nebulas and whatnot.

    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clarification regarding the parenthetical self-deprecating remark at the end:
    It's not that taking all the different exposures is unlike a "real" photographer; it's the blathering on about the process that strikes me as something a "real" photographer wouldn't do, because a "real" photographer wouldn't be so fascinated with how different exposures turn out.

    But I could be wrong. Ultimately, I'm not sure what "real" photographers do. If they do this, then apparently, yes, I am.

    (Seemed like there would be more to it.)

    Thanks, Ray.

    ReplyDelete