The moon-cloud not-exactly-an-experiment

You may recall back in August I made some effort to shoot the moon and clouds together. And because I never learn, on this night I spent a bit more time in this fruitless pursuit.

We start with a shot that shows clouds in reasonable detail and at least gets the moon down to a solid sphere (rather than a star-shaped point of light). [F/3.5, 1/3 sec., 72mm]
And thanks to a little post-production darkening, in the second shot we can also make out a tiny bit of detail on the moon. [Same F/3.5, 1/3 sec., 72mm]

Another bit of post darkening, and thanks to a shorter exposure we get something approximating the moon surface. [F/3.5, 1/20 sec., 72mm]

And by cutting the exposure significantly, wowzers, there's our familiar lunar face, but where are our wispy cloud friends? Oh well. [F/3.5, 1/100 sec., 72mm]

With any luck, I have learned my lesson, and will stop this nonsense.

1 comment:

  1. Doug:

    I think I mentioned this before but one way to handle this is combine the best shot of the moon with the best shot of the clouds using a photo-editing program (Photoshop or GIMP). Learning how to create, manipulate and combine layers can be a complicated process, but it does pay off. Andit sure beats messing around with chems in a darkroom and an enlarger, tryin to superimpose the images.

    Best,

    Ray

    ReplyDelete