Urban Light 1

Just outside the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA), on its south piazza, artist Chris Burden restored 202 vintage cast-iron streetlamps in a project he called "Urban Light".

Since February of 2008 this exhibit has featured the lamps lighting up each night at dusk and staying on until dawn. (I am told they are powered by solar cells that charge during the day.) And there's no fee to walk among them; they're accessible from the sidewalk, all night long (even after the museum is closed).
How did I find out about this? On a Saturday night last April, about 9:30 at night, my fiancée told me to put on my shoes and bring the camera. She offered no details about our destination as we got in the car. We drove to the Mid-Wilshire district, parked, and voila.

(Yes, she took me there not just to look but with the express purpose of taking pictures. Egad, I love this woman!)
(Yes, it took me all this time to get to posting these. Yeesh, I know. More shots coming soon.)
19 Apr 2008

2 comments:

  1. The first image: candles on Godzilla's birthday cake. Seriously, good shots.

    Did you color-balance with your camera to get the lights to appear white instead of yellowish? Plattsburgh, NY has lights downtown but they're glary and too yellow.

    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again, Ray. As regards adjusting the white balance, at the time (nine months ago) I was pretty well leaving that setting on auto (so it's somewhat amazing these turned out as well as they did in that regard). In subsequent months I've tried to be more cognizant of adjusting that before shooting.

    ReplyDelete