Urban Light 4

Continuing with shots of the Urban Light sculpture at LACMA. (For the explanation, see this post.)


This shot I share because of the difficulty in taking it. Not that it required great physical exertion, or placing myself in danger. No, all I did was climb some stairs.

Next to this exhibit is the multiple-story Broad Contemporary Art Museum building. On the side facing the exhibit are stairs running along the side. So to get a higher angle on the lamps I strolled over to their base, noticed no sign nor chain nor barricade, and then climbed to the first landing. I made no effort to be surreptitious in my approach to nor in my ascension of the stairs, but only after I was already up there did some men in sport coats from by the building on the opposite side of the exhibit come running and telling me I had to come down.

However, before they got close and I had to comply, I snapped off this one. Had to get something for my trouble. (Apologies for the settings--no time to make adjustments.)

2 comments:

  1. Great pattern shot. Is each row of lights on a different level, tiered as you look out over them?

    It was worth the effort to get the shot. Did the sportjackets give you a hard time, demanding to see what you had shot?

    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ray. The lamps are all on level ground, but the posts are different heights and generally arranged so the taller ones are toward one end, so that's why it seems tiered.

    The "guards" never actually got over to me. They had a long walk, and as soon as they saw me coming down the stairs they discontinued their trek and simply observed me get to the bottom from there (and then we were leaving anyway). In retrospect I suppose I should have snapped off a few more and made them come up and get me.

    ReplyDelete